Dr. Anna-Maria Marshall
Associate Professor of Gender and Women's Studies,LAS Global Studies,Sociology,Title VI Centers Faculty Survey, and Center for Global Studies
Anna-Maria Marshall has a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, and a Ph.D. in Political Science from Northwestern University. She is currently an associate professor and head of the Sociology Department at the University of Illinois.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Sociology of Law
- Social Movements
Her research is based on a broad theoretical and empirical project of examining the relationship between law and social change in studies of legal consciousness and law and social movements. In her work on legal consciousness, she examines the way that social change creates conflict in everyday life and how individuals use law, politics and experience to resolve these conflicts. She has studied these issues in her book Confronting Sexual Harassment: The Law and Politics of Everyday Life and in her recent research on the politics of family life in the lgbt community. She also studies cause lawyers and the political and cultural life of law in social movement strategies and in the context of the environmental justice movement and the lgbt movement. Her recent book, Queer Mobilizations: LGBT Activists Confront the Law, was co-edited with Scott Barclay and Mary Bernstein. Her work has also appeared in Law and Society Review, Law and Social Inquiry, Studies in Law, Politics, and Society, and several edited volumes.
- Ph.D, 1999, Northwestern University
- J.D., 1985, University of Virginia School of Law
- B.A., 1982, New York University
- SOC 275: Criminology
- SOC 396: The Criminal Justice System
- SOC 477: Sociology of Law
- Tuesday, 2 pm - 4 pm
- Queer Mobilizations: LGBT Activists Confront the Law. . Ed. Scott Barclay, Mary Bernstein, and Anna-Maria Marshall. New York: NYU Press, 2009.
- Marshall, Anna-Maria. Confronting Sexual Harassment: The Law and Politics of Everyday Life. . Burlington, VT: Dartmouth Ashgate, 2005.
- Marshall, Anna-Maria . "Social Movement Strategies and the Participatory Potential of Litigation." Cause Lawyers and Social Movements. . Comp. Austin Sarat. Ed. Stuart Scheingold. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press, 2006.
- Barclay, Scott, Lynn Jones, and Anna-Maria Marshall. "“Two Spinning Wheels: Studying Law and Social Movements.”." Studies in Law, Politics and Society 54 (2011): 1-17.
- "Environmental Justice and Grassroots Legal Action." Environmental Justice 3.4 (2010):
- Marshall, Anna-Maria . "“A Trial in the Life of the Environmental Justice Movement: USA v. Citgo.” ." Studies in Law, Politics and Society 49 (2009): 97-121.
- Marshall, Anna-Maria . "“Idle Rights: Employees’ Rights Consciousness and the Construction of Sexual Harassment Policies.” ." Law and Society Review 39.1 (2005): 83-123.