Merle L Bowen Phd
Associate Professor of Gender and Women's Studies,African Studies,African American Studies,Latin American and Caribbean Studies,LAS Global Studies, and Political Science
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Land Reform and African descent communities in Brazil; Gender and Afro-Latin American social movements; the State and Rural Struggles in Mozambique
- PhD, University of Toronto, 1986
- M.A.A.S., University of California, 1979
- BA (Honors), University of Toronto, 1978
- Pan Africansim in the Americas, Europe and Africa
- Government and Politics in Africa
- Introduction to the African Diaspora
- Development of African Studies
- Global Africa
- Social Movements and Globalization in Africa, Asia and Latin America
- Comparative Politics in Developing Countries
- Bowen, Merle. The State against the Peasantry: Rural Struggles in Colonial and Postcolonial Mozambique. . Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 2000.
- Bowen, Merle. "Social Differentiation, Farming Practices, and Environmental Change in Mozambique." African Savannas: Global Narratives and Local Knowledge of Environmental Change. . Comp. Thomas Bassett. Ed. Donald Crummey. Oxford and Portsmouth: James Currey and Heinemann, 2003. 225-247.
- Bowen, Merle. "The Struggle for Black Land Rights in Brazil." African and Black Diaspora: An International Journal 3.2 (2010): 147-168.