Professor of Gender and Women's Studies,Anthropology, and Center for Global Studies
Jane Desmond is a Professor in Anthropology and Gender and Women's Studies, and Co-founder and current Director of the International Forum for U.S. Studies, a center in International Programs. Her primary areas of interest focus of issues of embodiment, display, and social identity, as well as the transnational dimensions of U.S. Studies. Her areas of expertise include performance studies, critical theory, visual culture (including museum studies and tourism studies), the critical analysis of the U.S. in global perspectives, and, most recently, the political economy of human/animal relations. She has previously worked as a modern dancer and choreographer, and in film, video, and the academy.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Performativity and Performance, Embodiment and Identity, Human-Animal relations, Science and Society, Tourism and museums
- 1993: Ph.D., Yale University, American Studies
- 1991, M.Phil., Yale University, American Studies
- 1973: B.A., Brown University, Music and Dance
- 1975: M.F.A., Sarah Lawrence College
Distinctions / Awards
- 2009-2010 Humanities Research Institute Faculty Scholar at UIUC
- 2010-2011 Appointment as annual Faculty Associate-in-Residence: UIUC Center for Advanced Studies, leading the initiative: “Knowing Animals: Histories, Strategies and Futures in Human-Animal Relations”
- UIUC Center for Advanced Study Faculty Associate fellowship 2016-2017
- “Eminent World Scholar” appointment, one month residency, Beijing Foreign Studies University, May, 2009, American Studies Program
- 2007-2011 President, International American Studies Association
- Hewlitt Foundation
- The Ford Foundation
- The Rockefeller Foundation
- Dance in America
- Museums and the Politics of Representation
- Senior Seminar in Gender and Women's Studies
- Performing America Queerly
- The Arts in American Culture
- Gender on Stage and Off
- The Culture of Nature
- Graduate Courses
- Performance Studies
- The Craft of Research
- The Arts, Identity and Cultural Politics
- Theory and Practice in American Studies
- Crossing Borders: Foreign Scholarship on the U.S.
- Knowing Animals: Histories, Strategies and Frontiers in Human/Animal Relations
- Sustainability and Animals
- Grand Challenges First Year Seminar: Humans and Animals: Friends or Food?
- Performing "America": Expressive Practics and Everyday LIves
- Sustainability, Humans and Animals
- varies by semester. check current listing
- Displaying Death and Animating Life: Human-Animal Relations in Art, Science, and Everyday Life. . Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Desmond, Jane C. Staging Tourism: Bodies on Display from Waikiki to Sea World. . Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- Desmond, Jane. ""The Sounds of Silence: commissions, Ommisions and Particularity in the Anthropology of the United States." Afterword. America Observed: On an International Anthropology of the United States. . Berghahn, 2017.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Can Animals Make Art?: Popular and Scientific Discourses About Expressivity and Cognition in Primates." Experiencing Animals: Encounters Between Animals and Human Minds. . Ed. J. Smith and R. Mitchell. Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Animal Deaths and the Written Record of History: The Politics of Pet Obituaries." Making Animal Meaning. . Michigan State University Press, 2012. 99-111.
- Desmond, Jane, and Virginia Dominguez. Global Perspectives on the United States: Pro-Americanism, Anti-Americanism, and the Discourses Between. . University of Illinois Press, 2017.
- Desmond, Jane C. Dancing Desires: Choreographing Sexuality on and off the Stage. . Madison: University of Madison Wisconsin Press, 2001.
- Desmond, Jane C. Meaning in Motion: New Cultural Studies of Dance. . Duke University Press, 1997.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Ivy Halls and Ivy Walls: The Continuing Legacy of the Ivy League." American Studies of Korea, American Studies Institute, Seoul National University 34.1 (2011): 203-231.
- Desmond, Jane C. "Towards a Prismatic 'American Studies." Safundi: Journal of South African and American Studies (2007):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Transnational American Studies: Limits to Collaboration." American Studies International (2003):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Mapping American Studies Across National Boundaries." Hungarian Journal of American Studies (2002):
- Desmond, Jane C. "Picturing Hawai'i: The 'Ideal' Native and the Origins of Tourism (1880-1915).." Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 7.2 (1999):
- Desmond, Jane, and Jane C. Desmond. "Towards a Political Economy of American Studies: Reports from an Experiment in Process." Through the Looking Glass: American Studies in Transcultural Perspective, European Contributions to American Studies 40 (1999):
Special Issues of a Journal
- Desmond, Jane. "America" in India: Comparative American Studies (UK). Spec. iss. of Comparative American Studies (2014):
- Looking North: Latin American Perspectives on the U.S. in Global Perspective. Spec. iss. of Journal of the Brazilian Association for American Studies (2010):
- Legacies of 1898: Revisiting U.S. Colonialisms. Spec. iss. of Comparative American Studies: An International Journal (2007):