Dr. Luisa-Elena Delgado
Professor of Gender and Women's Studies,Latin American and Caribbean Studies,LAS Global Studies,Spanish and Portuguese, and Center for Global Studies
Address: Spanish & Portuguese
School of Literatures, Cultures, Linguistics.
707 S Mathews
University of Illinois (Urbana) Ill 61801.
Urbana, IL 61801
- Telephone: (217)244-3253
- Email: email@example.com
I was born in Caracas, Venezuela, the granddaughter of Spanish exiles and daughter of immigrants. I was raised in Spain since I was six. I moved to California to do my PhD.and have been a resident of the United States since then. From 2013-15 I lived in Barcelona, where I was the resident director of the University of Illinois-University of California program.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Modern and Contemporary Spanish Literature and Cultural Studies. Cultural Construction of Identities. Cultural Theory. Ideology and Culture. Emotions and Affect in culture.
The focus of my current research and teaching is the cultural construction of Spanish national identity in the democratic period. I have two other lines of research underway: one analyzes the state of Hispanism and explores alternative ways to conceptualize the discipline --including, but not limited to, transnational and/or Iberian Studies approaches. I have a contract with Polity Press (UK) for a Cultural History of Modern and Contemporary Spanish Literature, co-authored with Jo Labanyi (NYU). The book will also have the collaboration of experts in Catalan, Basque and Galician literatures.
My other area of research now is the study of emotions and affect in/as culture, with particular emphasis on the role of emotions in the public sphere. Part of that research is included in the co-edited volume (with Pura Fernandez and Jo Labanyi) Engaging the Emotions in Spanish Culture and History (Vanderbilt University Press, 2016), now being translated into Spanish. Along those lines, I have also started to work on a book on the emotions of protest, specifically the "anti-social" emotions of resentment and envy in a comparative framework.
Last, but certainly not least, I am interested in the connections between academic research and public life, as well as in the debates and practices that define what constitutes democratic citizenship.
- Ph.D University of California, Santa Barbara
- University of Madrid (Complutense) Licenciatura and Tesina
Distinctions / Awards
- 2009-2010. Humanities Council Teaching Excellence Award. (University of Illinois).
- 2010-11 Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory Nicholson Fellow.
- 2015 Finalist, Premio Nacional de Ensayo (National Literature Award, Essay). Spain's Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.
- Honorable Mention, Best Research in the Humanities, Illinois Program for Research In the Humanities (for "The Sound and the Red Fury")
- 2016-17 Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities Fellow.
- 2007. Program for Cultural Cooperation between Spanish Ministry of Culture and North American Universities
- 2009 Centre for Scientific Research (CSIC- Spain).
- 2009 Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
- 2017-20 Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS, France)
- Intro to Cultural Analysis (Sp 254)
- Debating Spain (Sp320)
- Engaging the Emotions in Spanish Culture and History (from the Eighteenth Century to the Present). . Ed. Luisa-Elena Delgado, Pura Fernández, and Jo Labanyi. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP, 2016.
- Delgado, Luisa Elena. La nación singular. Fantasías de la normalidad democrática española (1996-2011).. . Madrid: Siglo XXI Editores, 2014.
- La imagen elusiva: lenguaje y representación en la narrativa de Galdós.[The Elusive Image: Language and Representation in the Narrative of B.P. Galdós.] . . Amsterdam/Atlanta: Rodopi, 2000.
- "f we build it, will they come? Iberian Studies as Field of Dreams." Iberian Modalities. . 2013.
- "“The Astigmatic Vision and the Perception of Minority Literatures”." Writers in Between Languages: Minority Languages in the Global Scene. . University of Nevada UP, Center for Basque Studies, 2010.
- "“Gertrudis Gómez de Avellaneda: escritura, feminidad y reconocimiento.”." La mujer de letras o la letraherida. Textos y representaciones del discurso médico-social y cultural sobre la mujer escritora en el siglo XIX. . Ed. Pura Fernández and Marie L. Ortega. Madrid-Toulouse-LeMirail: Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, 2008.
- "“El artista frente al abismo. Modernidad y decadencia de Antonio de Hoyos.”." En el país del arte: la novela del artista. . Ed. Facundo Tomás. Valencia: Biblioteca Valenciana, 2003. 101-23.
- Delgado, Luisa Elena, and Jo Labanyi. Conocer, conmover: las emociones de la cultura y la cultura de las emociones. . Madrid: Cátedra, 2018.
- Delgado, Luisa Elena. ""The Sound and the Red Fury: The Sticking Poings of Spanish Nationalism"." Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies 11.3-4 (2010): 263-286.
- "Deshaciendo los nudos: fetichismo y feminidad en la narrativa de Jasone Osoro." Bulletin of Spanish Studies (2009):
- "La nación (in) vertebrada y las crisis de la normalidad democrática." Revista científica de información y comunicación (2009):
- Mendelson, Jordana, and Luisa Elena Delgado. " “Recalcitrant Modernities: Spain, Cultural Difference and the Location of Modernism.” ." Special issue of Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies 13.2.3 (2007):