Assistant Professor of Gender and Women's Studies,Sociology, and LAS Global Studies
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Gender; Sexualities; Race and Ethnicity; Global and Transnational Sociology; Urban Studies; Queer Theory; Postcolonial Theory; Feminist Theory and Methods; Social Movements; Qualitative and Interpretive Methods
- Ph.D., Rutgers University
Distinctions / Awards
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Education, School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University, 2015
- Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship in Women’s Studies, 2014
- Graduate Fellowship at the Institute for Research on Women at Rutgers University, 2014-15
- Harry C. Bredemeier Prize for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Department of Sociology, Rutgers University, 2014
- Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign (Fall 2016, Spring 2017)
- SOC 225: Race and Ethnicity
- SOC 396: Sexuality and Society
- SOC 596: Gender and Sexuality
- Wednesdays, 11:30-1:00 or by appointment
- "[reprint] Not ‘Straight’ but Still a ‘Man’: Negotiating Non-Heterosexual Masculinities in Beirut." Introducing the New Sexuality Studies (3rd edition) . . Ed. Steven Seidman and Nancy Fischer. Routledge, 2016. 152-159.
- "Not ‘Straight’ but Still a ‘Man’: Negotiating Non-Heterosexual Masculinities in Beirut." Introducing the New Sexuality Studies (2nd edition). . Ed. Steven Seidman , Nancy Fischer, and Chet Meeks. Routledge, 2011. 159-165.
- "Queer exceptionalism and exclusion: Cosmopolitanism and inequalities in ‘gay-friendly’ Beirut." The Sociological Review (2017):
- "(Un) critically Queer Organizing: Towards a More Complex Analysis of LGBTQ Organizing in Lebanon." Sexualities 18.5-6 (2015): 593-617.
- "Queering Beirut, the Paris of the Middle East: Fractal Orientalism and Essentialized Masculinities in Gay Travelogues." Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography 20.7 (2013): 858-875.