Undergraduate Student Spotlight on Kathryn Booker
"GWS classes forced me to step outside of my box and look at the world from other people's perspectives, understand the importance of intersectionality and critically examine the way identity is formed and maintained in society. It allowed me to explore topics I had never previously thought about, and think about the world in a different way."
Alumna Spotlight on Emily Skidmore
Skidmore has recently published the article “Ralph Kerwineo’s Queer Body: Narrating the Scales of Social Membership in the Early Twentieth Century,” which appeared in the special issue of GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies in early 2014.
Spotlight on Gender and Multicultural Librarian Cindy Ingold
"The resources this library offers are phenomenal. The University of Illinois Library is ranked the third largest academic library in the country, and the largest academic library for a public university in the world. The library has a vast collection of monographs; a large collection of print and online serials; a significant DVD collection; several online databases for gender and women’s studies; and access to many digitized collections."
Graduate Student Spotlight on Jess Pretty
"Many of the policies and social constructs developing in the world are very much affecting the artistic world as well. GWS has also given me more knowledge and awareness of my body and how I identify myself. This revelation can’t help but seep into my physical and choreographic practice."
- GWS Staff Virginia Swisher receives 2013-2014 LAS Staff Award
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences established the LAS Staff Awards to identify and honor selected staff members for their outstanding contributions to the college.
- Apply for the Marianne Ferber award by March 15
- The Marianne A. Ferber endowment was created to honor Marianne A. Ferber's thirty-eight years of excellence at the University of Illinois in scholarship, research, and teaching on the behalf of women.
- Apply for the Jean Alice Scharre Thompson Award by April 4
The Jean Scharre Thompson Scholarship is a one-time annual award providing support in the amount of $1,500, applied to a student’s tuition and fees, to a junior or senior undergraduate student majoring in Gender and Women’s Studies. Due at 5pm on April 4, 2014.