Student Spotlight on Matt Speck
"The people in GWS are what make it so amazing as a department and a field of study. Each professor I have had and met is beautifully and uniquely eccentric, and that mix of personalities within one department leads to fascinating learning opportunities and wonderfully creative collaborations. My classmates have reflected this mix of personality, and since I often take multiple classes with the same people, I have really gotten to know them well personally and follow their progress as well as my own."
Alumna Spotlight on Esther Bier
"I enjoyed that my GWS classes created a space for me to delve into topics and theories I would have never learned anything about otherwise. I appreciated that GWS taught me how to see the world and behave differently. GWS taught me to be a critical thinker and also work to make the world a better place. I learned to say “look, this a problem,” but also to work to fix it."
Alumna Spotlight on Beth Schuck
"I would highly recommend GWS course to any student at the University of Illinois, I feel that the concepts taught and discussed in GWS can apply to any career choice and help make a positive impact on every students’ educations experiences and on their future career path."
- GWS students organize to Support Salaita
- From GWS undergraduate Matt Speck, "Our efforts on campus work in conjunction with faculty and scholarly protests to hold the administration of UIUC publicly accountable for the uncivil treatment of not only Professor Steven Salaita but also his family, his department, and his students."
- Welcome to the 2014/2015 Academic School Year!
We look forward to seeing many of you at the upcoming lectures, events, courses, and social gatherings this year!
- Join GWS for our discussion on academic freedom and political dissent
- Gender and Women's Studies hosts and open 'discussion section' about the concept of 'academic freedom' and the practice of political dissent at this moment. Join us September 5, 2014 from 12-3pm at the GWS House, 1205 W. Nevada Street.